unfoldingWord® Translation Words https://www.unfoldingword.org/utw
You can not select more than 25 topics Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
David was the second king of Israel and he loved and served God. He was the main writer of the book of Psalms.
- When David was still a young boy caring for his family’s sheep, God chose him to become the next king of Israel.
- David became a great fighter and led the Israelite army in battles against their enemies. His defeat of Goliath the Philistine is well known.
- King Saul tried to kill David, but God protected him, and made him king after Saul’s death.
- David committed a terrible sin, but he repented and God forgave him.
- Jesus, the Messiah, is called the “Son of David” because he is a descendant of King David.
(Translation suggestions: How to Translate Names)
- 1 Samuel 17:12-13
- 1 Samuel 20:34
- 2 Samuel 5:2
- 2 Timothy 2:8
- Acts 2:25
- Acts 13:22
- Luke 1:32
- Mark 2:26
Examples from the Bible stories:
- 17:2 God chose a young Israelite named David to be king after Saul. David was a shepherd from the town of Bethlehem. … David was a humble and righteous man who trusted and obeyed God.
- 17:3 David was also a great soldier and leader. When David was still a young man, he fought against a giant named Goliath.
- 17:4 Saul became jealous of the people’s love for David. Saul tried many times to kill him, so David hid from Saul.
- 17:5 God blessed David and made him successful. David fought many battles and God helped him defeat Israel’s enemies.
- 17:6 David wanted to build a temple where all the Israelites could worship God and offer him sacrifices.
- 17:9 David ruled with justice and faithfulness for many years, and God blessed him. However, toward the end of his life he sinned terribly against God.
- 17:13 God was very angry about what David had done, so he sent the prophet Nathan to tell David how evil his sin was. David repented of his sin and God forgave him. For the rest of his life, David followed and obeyed God, even in difficult times.
- Strong’s: H1732, G11380