You can not select more than 25 topics
Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
- now Reuben - The word “now” is used here to mark the change from the lists of descendants to background information about Reuben. (See: en:ta:vol2:translate:writing_background)
- but his birthright was given to the sons of Joseph son of Israel - AT: “but Israel gave Reuben’s birthright to the sons of Joseph, another of Israel’s sons” (See: :en:ta:vol2:translate:figs_activepassive)
- Reuben had defiled his father’s couch - This is a polite way to speak about Reuben sleeping with father’s secondary wife. (See::en:ta:vol2:translate:figs_euphemism) The couch is the place where a man and his wife would have slept together. (See: :en:ta:vol2:translate:figs_metonymy)
- So he is not recorded as being the oldest - AT: “So the family history does not list Reuben as the oldest son” (See: :en:ta:vol2:translate:figs_activepassive)
- Hanoch…Pallu…Hezron…Carmi - These are the names of men. (See: :en:ta:vol1:translate:translate_names)