Open Bible Stories
an unrestricted visual mini-Bible in any language
Open Bible Stories is 50 key stories of the Bible, from Creation to Revelation, for evangelism & discipleship, in text, audio, and video, on any mobile phone, in any language, for free.
Open Bible Stories is developed by Distant Shores Media,
Wycliffe Associates, and the Door43 World Missions Community. The illustrations
are © Sweet Publishing and the entire project—text and illustrations—is made
available under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, see the LICENSE file for more information.
Below are some download links for various building blocks for Open Bible Stories if you want to use them for your project. For the officially released version, you should check the English Open Bible Stories page on unfoldingWord.
You can also view all the English videos on YouTube.
We recommend that you use translatioStudio to translate Open Bible Stories. However, you may also fork this repository or download a zip archive of the latest version on the Releases page.
You may also be interested in OBS translationNotes, OBS translationQuestions, and/or translationWords.
This section describes how to update a previous version of Open Bible Stories to the latest version.
Identify which Version of Open Bible Stories
Many translations have the version number listed. If the version number is not available, figuring out which version a translation was based off of is important.
To figure out which version a particular translation was translated from, do the following:
- Check story number 45. If it ends with Philip looking at the chariot, then it is translated from version 1.x. If it ends with the Ethiopian Official smiling, go to the next step.
- Check frame 06-02. If the phrase "to the land where Abraham's relatives lived" is not included, then it is translated from version 2.x. If it is included, it is translated from at least version 3.x. (Also check frame 09-06. If "in order to save him from being killed" is not included, it is translated from version 2.x. If it is included, it is translated from at least version 3.x.)
- If you are still not sure, we have created a complete set of all the changes between Version 1.x or Version 2.x and the current version. Compare your translation to this list of changes to determine which version your translation was made from. Note: All text highlighted in green has been added, text highlighted in yellow has been changed, and text highlighted in red has been deleted. Only frames that have changed are included in these lists.
Update to the Latest Version of Open Bible Stories
Once you have identified which version of Open Bible Stories the translation in your language used, you will need to update the translation in your language to the latest version. To help simplify the update process, we have generated change logs of all of the changes that happened between version 1.x and the latest and version 2.x and the latest. Simply go through these changes and update the text in your language according to those documents, and your translation of Open Bible Stories will be up to date.
A Change Log of Recent Minor Changes to Open Bible Stories
3.2.1 -> 4
- New Versioning System, read more here
- 07 - "God Blessed Jacob" -> "God Blesses Jacob"
- 49-06 - NEW IMAGE
3.2 -> 3.2.1
- 03-11 - Later Noah -> Later, Noah
- 11-01 - males of both people -> males of Egypt's people
- 12-14 - unleavened bread -> bread that was made without yeast
- 13-05 - holy. That is, -> holy. In other words,
- 16-09 - cloth -> sheep skin (3x)
- 17-07 - was the Messiah" -> was the Messiah
- 18-13 - evil, corrupt, and they worshiped -> evil and corrupt, and they worshiped
- 19-04 - because of the famine -> because the lack of rain had caused a famine
- 22-02 - how will -> how can
- 23-08 -
Mary was very happy, too.
- 26-10 - who were called -> whom he called
- 36-01 - and John -> and John,
- 38-09 - you will deny that you even know me three times -> you will deny three times that you even know me
- 40-06 - It stayed dark from noon until 3:00 in the afternoon. -> It became dark at noon and stayed dark for three hours.
- 43-02 - the harvest -> the wheat harvest.
- 45 - Philip and the Ethiopian Official -> Stephen and Philip
- 49-01 - virgin, she -> virgin, the Holy Spirit overshadowed her and she became pregnant. She
3.1.1 -> 3.2
- 13-15 -
Moses climbed the mountain again and prayed that God would forgive the people. God listened to Moses and forgave them. Moses wrote the Ten Commandments on new stone tablets to replace the ones he had broken. Then God led the Israelites away from Mount Sinai toward the Promised Land. Moses made new stone tablets for the Ten Commandments to replace the ones that he had broken. Then he climbed the mountain again and prayed that God would forgive the people. God listened to Moses and forgave them. Moses came back down the mountain with the Ten Commandments on the new tablets. Then God led the Israelites away from Mount Sinai toward the Promised Land.
- 13-15 - NEW IMAGE
- 14-01 After God had told the Israelites the laws that he wanted them to obey as part of his covenant with them, they left Mount Sinai. God began leading them
from toward the Promised Land, which was also called Canaan. The pillar of cloud went ahead of them toward s Canaan and they followed it.
3.1 -> 3.1.1
- 06-12 “Gideon's 300 men soldiers” -> “Gideon's 300 soldiers"
- 21-02 “every people groups” -> “every people group"
- 39-12 “so he ordered his soldiers to crucify Jesus.” -> “so he agreed to have his soldiers crucify Jesus."